Welcome

Welcome to Get-Eco Family blogs

Friday 12 October 2012

Memories of the old shopping days

Shopping without carrier bags.

Whilst on a recent shopping visit in Wales it was clear that plastic bags are a thing of the past. The Welsh Government introduced a minimum 5p charge in 2011 on all single use carrier bags which I think is an excellent idea.

I had searched for an alternative "fruit and veg" bag just like the ones my nan used to have which had lots of holes in.  I came across the "re-sack".



Re-Sac was created by Sjoerd Van der Helm in January 2011 after searching for a reusable alternative to the plastic bag which was made of a natural fabric. This fitted with all our ideas about re-using bags and a great handbag size alternative to carrying the jute bags.










I always remember my grandparents taken their shopping bags everywhere - my nan still does, although she has fold up shoppers now too and whenever we visited the local fruit and veg man, he always gave you a paper bag and never a plastic bag.


Re-Sac contacted me as they had found me on the internet too and asked if I could review their bags for them. Of course I agreed. The bags arrived within a week.

resack bag

It folds up very small so fitted in my handbag.  I filled the bag at the supermarket with a tub of strawberries, 6 bananas, 6 apples and still had lots of space left.

At a cost of 3.50 euro (about £2.80) I think it is a great buy. It is easy to wash, made out of 100% organic cotton on a fairtrade basis and fits neatly into any bag.




There are two other bags avaiable too which I have yet to test out but I think the idea is great. 



No comments:

Post a Comment